Tuesday, January 6, 2009

More Ugly Masks - Orc Hide Helm


Not having a day job has its advantages and disadvantages. Yes I'm jobless as a designer and whut-not, and no steady income but I do have a lot of time to make art. This is my next quick project and also will add to my mask portfolio. Its a 1:1 Orc Hide Helmet from Lord of the Rings.
They only made a 1:4th scale table top souvenir so there's no lifesize scale version. Plus this design looks a lot like Predator. So I'm making it.

In the picture there's the PVC tube which I've cut into 3 cm wide & various length strips and its slightly curved already. A new material which I'm fascinated with is Chamois. Synthetic version seen here was used for drying my 2 dogs (whom I love very much) after their shower, begins to dry and get hard. This is something unique. I should have worked with this stuff long time ago. I can buy new ones, dip it in wet acrylic color that I want, shape it and let dry. It'll be hard and retain the shape of the mask that I want. So I'll be playing with this. I've just ordered a bunch over Taobao and going to make gloves from this material. Can't wait.

No comments: